7 TRAITS OF MINUS-MINUS MARRIAGE
Pst Bisi Adewale
It is difficult to rate marriages by simply viewing them from a distance. Only when you come close can you notice the traits they possess. Here, I will open your eyes to traits you will see in a minus-minus marriage.
- Rudeness. Respect, honour or courtesy are foreign words in this kind of marriage. They criticize, condemn and compete to embarrass each other even in public.
- Domineering. Power tussle occurs in this family. Both of them want to be in charge. The woman strives to take control of the family, while the man exerts authority by force- dominating his wife, dictating what to do and what not to do, building an empire where he is the emperor.
- Arrogance. Apostle Paul’s admonition at Ephesians 5:21 that couples should be -“submitting to one another in the fear of God” is missing from their Bibles. They are full of themselves; their marriage is like a kingdom with two separate kings, or a nation with two opposing presidents.
- Competition. Instead of complementing each other, the spirit of completion takes over. They compete for the love of their children and try to outdo each other in buying properties. They get envious when one of them prospers.
- Solo Lifestyle. They are never together. No oneness, togetherness, bonding, intimacy or unity. They are married but single in the heart and acts.
- Strife. Because of unforgiveness and hatred, it is very easy for this kind of couple to quarrel, fight or even turn their home to a battle field where all “weapons of war” are freely used.
- Sexual denial. Sexual intimacy is non-existent here and most times, sex is a “grudge match” or an opportunity to mate like animals. They lack feelings for each other. Although, they meet “biologically”, their “chemistry” is not involved.