-By Bisi Adewale
“According to ETERNAL PURPOSE which He PURPOSED in Christ Jesus our Lord”. Ephesians 3:11
“But according to His own PURPOSE and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began”. 2 Timothy 1:9
To make our marriage fulfilling, we must first know the mind of God; the Manufacturer of marriage. If we don’t know the purpose and walk by that purpose, it will be difficult to make the most of our marriages. In fact, that is the major reason many are making a mess of their marriages.
PURPOSE OF MARRIAGE
- God’s centered covenant relationship. The purpose of marriage is to spiritually, emotionally, physically and financially unite a man and a woman together as husband and wife, in a covenant relationship between themselves and their Creator. Malachi 2:13-16
- To reflect God’s image. Christian marriage should reflect God’s image. Man was created in the image of God. God created him with marriage in mind. “……….In the image of God created he him, male and female created he them”. Genesis 1:27b. When we stand in love and unity with our spouse, we reflect the image of God. When we stand in unity, we demonstrate what exists between the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit which is generally known as trinity (three in unity) So, God created marriage to be what I love to refer to as ‘Twoinity’ i.e (Two in unity )
- To deal with loneliness and aloneliness. “And the Lord God said it is not good for the man to be ALONE, I will make him an help meet for him”. Genesis 2:18. “God setteth the solitary in families……..” Psalm 68:6a. God created marriage for divine fellowship and communion, to strike out aloneliness and loneliness.
- For purity. “Now concerning this thing whereof ye wrote unto me, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, TO AVOID FORNICATION, let every man have his own wife and let every woman have her own husband”. 1 Corinthians 7:1-2 . One of the reasons God instituted marriage is to avoid fornication.
- For strength. Marriage brings strength; it makes it easier for battles to be won as two committed and loving people confront their enemies in battle, fighting in the name of the Lord. Eccl. 4:9-12.
- For joy. Marriage is intended to bring joy and happiness to the parties involved. Eccl 9:9
- Raising Godly Children. “And did not He make one? That he might seek a GODLY SEED, therefore take heed to your spirit and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth”. Malachi 2:15. God instituted marriage so that families can be raised to teach, train and bring up children in His likeness; he seeks the “godly seed” and purpose-driven families. To build a better family life, you must have the purpose of marriage in mind and work by it.
- If your marriage is been driven by purpose, it will be easier to make it work and enjoyable. Don’t ever disconnect your marriage from the purpose of God for it.