How To Be Faithful In Marriage
-By Bisi Adewale
“Stolen waters are sweet and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. But he knoweth not that the dead are there and that her guests are in the depths of hell.” Proverbs 9:17-18
Nothing destroys marriage quickly like unfaithfulness. It breaks trust and destroys the cord of unity, brings disaffections and breaks the bond of friendship. Proverbs 20:6, Proverbs 31:10
Faithfulness is a great highway to a successful marriage. When you fail in the school of faithfulness, you can’t pass in the school of joyfulness, playfulness, openness, righteousness and others. Faithfulness is the key. You can’t replace it with any other things. It has no substitute in marriage or in any relationship for that matter. Do you want your marriage to be successful? Do you want harmony in your matrimony and not agony? Do you really want peace at home? Then, walk in the path of faithfulness. Nobody enjoys a cheating spouse. It is your responsibility to keep your marriage intact by being open, truthful and honest to your spouse. How To Be Faithful In Marriage How To Be Faithful In Marriage How To Be Faithful In Marriage How To Be Faithful In Marriage How To Be Faithful In Marriage
Elements of faithfulness
To be said you are faithful to your spouse, you must do or have the following:
- Truthfulness. Truth is the foundation of faithfulness. When you are not truthful, your mate will not doubt your faithfulness. Absolute honesty is a major course in the school of colourful marriage.
- Openness. People in marriage should be open to each other. “Naked but not ashamed”. No secrecy, no dark room, no hiding of phone, no going out to receive phone calls, no answering of calls in ambiguous ways. When some people receive calls in the presence of their spouse, you will be hearing, “Okay, yes, right, good, I do, I will be there, no, tomorrow, the same place” etc. Your partner will never know what you are talking about. This is not openness and it is dangerous for your marriage.
- Transparency. Very close to openness is transparency. Let your spouse see through you; don’t hide anything. How To Be Faithful In Marriage How To Be Faithful In Marriage
- Right habits. If you drink, smoke, watch pornography, use vulgar words, there is no way your spouse will believe you are faithful. It is difficult to be faithful if you are involved in these vices, so run away from them.
- Right association. It will be difficult to be faithful to your spouse if you are keeping bad company. If your friends are bad guys or girls you will soon join them. Birds of the same feather flock together. Proverbs 21:16
- Integrity. Be a man of impeccable character, honest, credible, reliable and dependable. Proverbs 22:1
- Accountability. Be accountable to your spouse, don’t just be in your own world, doing whatever you like; be accountable to your spouse.
TYPE OF FAITHFULNESS
There are two areas of faithfulness in marriage.
- Financial faithfulness. Financial unfaithfulness can destroy any marriage. If couples cannot trust each other with money, they may not trust each other on other things. Marriage becomes difficult when couples are suspicious of each other as far as money is concerned. Ecclesiastes 9:8
Work to do:
– Be open to each other.
– Let there be open communication.
– Don’t steal from each other.
– Work in unity.
– Don’t lie.
– Spend together.
– Trust each other.
– Don’t ever allow money to scatter you.
– See money as a tool not a bone of contention.
– Trust God together to bless and promote you.
– Provide for your family.
– Be selfless, don’t be selfish.
– Be generous, don’t be stingy.
- Sexual Faithfulness. “For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread, and the adulteress will hunt for a precious soul. Can a man take fire on his bossom and his clothes not burned? Can one go upon hot coals and his feet not be burned? So he that goeth into his neighbour’s wife; whosoever toucheth her shall not be innocent”. Proverbs 6:26-29
You are not permitted to go to bed with anybody other than your spouse. Sexual relationship outside marriage is called adultery; it is wrong and ungodly. God frowns at it and it can destroy your home and can also lead to death. Sexual unfaithfulness involves pornography, masturbation, flirting with others, phone sex, lust, etc.
“But whosoever committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding, he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul”. Proverbs 6:32
Work to do:
– Live for God and not in immorality
– Shun adultery.
– Direct all your sexual fantasies towards your husband or wife.
– Flee from all sexual immorality.
– Be disciplined.
– Never indulge in masturbation.
– Steer clear of temptation spots.
– Pray out every spirit of lust in your life.
– Control what you watch or look upon.
– Control your thoughts.
– Avoid being alone with the opposite sex who is not your spouse.
– Build yourself up in spiritual things.
– Avoid late night movies.
– Avoid ungodly music
– Avoid bad and ungodly friends.
– Be careful when you travel alone.
“For she hath cast down many wounded, yea, many strong men have been slain by her. Her house is the way to hell going down to the chambers of death.” Proverbs 7:26-27
If you must have sex; let it be with your spouse. There is no pleasure you are looking for that your spouse cannot give. Be wise to keep your life and destiny by been faithful to your wife or husband.
Pastor Bisi Adewale is a family and relationship expert; author of Secret of Irresistible Wife and more than 70 other books on marriage and family life. You can reach him on email@example.com, 08068312004, 08051512823, BB: 2AF5C883, Blog: www.bisiadewale.com, Website:www.familybooster.com facebook.com/PastorBisiAdewale.Twitter@bisiadewale