HOW TO AVOID THE EFFECT OF MASTURBATION
HOW TO AVOID THE EFFECT OF MASTURBATIONMasturbation and infatuation are both sexual malady borne out of moral corruption and aimed at satisfying one’s sexual urge in the absence of a partner. The contributory factors include but not limited to peer pressure, exposure to pornographic materials, lack of sexual self-esteem etc. Whereas infatuation is a passive process, masturbation is the graduation of the thinking process of infatuation into a physical simulation of sexual intercourse. HOW TO AVOID THE EFFECT OF MASTURBATION
Various methods and formulas have been postulated and taunted for combating these unhealthy sexual behaviours but for the purpose of this write up, we shall look at two distinct reasons why you must strive very hard to get rid of such acts and how. Lustful looking, thinking and/or imagination (Matt 5:8) which characterize infatuation and sexual craving being satisfied by oneself (masturbation) form types of sexual perversion which is against the natural use of the body (Rom 1:21-32). They are both spiritual offenses (sin) and so, attract the wrath of God. Therefore, fighting them incorporates both spiritual cleansing and attitudinal change.HOW TO AVOID THE EFFECT OF MASTURBATION
The first step in getting out of a sin or a bad habit is to realize the need for stopping it (and in this case, it is an act that brings you against your God and exposes you to His wrath) and the second is having a strong determination to stop the act. Having made up your mind to stop the habit, you must identify how you got into it first and the thing(s) and/or person(s) that encourage the act, and avoid them.HOW TO AVOID THE EFFECT OF MASTURBATION
Prayer: Because it is an act of sin, you must go to God in prayer. Confess your sin, repent of the act(s), ask for forgiveness, ask for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the help of God to live a life of holiness and purity and finally, thank and worship God for answered prayer (Ps 51, Mk 7:20-23, Rom 6:13-14, Eph 3:14-19, Heb 4:16, Phil 4:6-7).
Renew your mind: Rather than expose yourself to things that readily corrupt the mind, feed your mind and thoughts with the words of God by constant reading, studying and memorizing of the Bible, literatures, healthy gospel songs, ministrations by seasoned men of God etc (Rom 12:1-2, 1Cor 6:19-20, Jam 1:14, 1Pet 2:11, Pro 6:25-29).
Guard your heart: In other to ensure the purity of your heart, you must strive hard to stay off temptations and among the specific things to prayerfully and carefully avoid include:
1. Friends who involve in or encourage such act
2. Pornographic materials such as magazines, tabloids and pornographic sites
3. X-rated movies, TV and radio programmes
4. Conditions that may favour the act such as being alone for a long period in a confined environment e.g. bedroom, bathroom, restroom, even living room etc, and admiring your nakedness in front of a mirror. HOW TO AVOID THE EFFECT OF MASTURBATION
Life does not give room for vacuum and besides, in order to achieve a good result, other productive activities must take the place of those on the “avoid” list:
1. Identify and get closer to friend(s) who is/are spiritually matured and really care(s) that can help follow you up on breaking the habit. This means that you will have to open up to at least one person who can help you in your resolve. This is very necessary and you must not allow pride to take advantage of you (Jam 5:16).
2. Expose yourself only to friendly materials such as Christian literatures, the Bible, daily devotions etc.
3. Block every pornographic internet sites and get rid of all materials that can attract you to the act(s).
4. Seriously cut down your interest in movies and the little time dedicated to movies, TV and radio should be spent listening to ministrations by men of God, healthy gospel songs, sports etc.
5. Engage in productive activities that can keep you and your mind always busy e.g. showing more commitment to church services and programmes, getting involved in Christian youth programmes etc.
(1Cor 15:33, Pro 4:23, Eph 6:12-20, Rom 6:16, Phil 4:8)
Counseling: In the case of a very chronic case of addiction, help should be sort from appropriate authority (Jam 5:13-15) and/or psychotherapist.
Infatuation and masturbation are sexual perversion that requires the forgiveness and help of God and a physical resolve to break off from. Having understood the gravity of the offence and sought for forgiveness, you must guard your heart diligently and expose yourself to things that edify.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you (Phil 4:8-9).
Daily Confession: I break off from every habit that makes me look irritating to God in Jesus name.